Wednesday 31 January 2007

Introduction to the blog

Welcome to my new blog - Outlandish Knight.

The main aim of the blog is to keep students in the Dept. of History and Archaeology at the University of Chester up-to-date with current developments in the world of archaeology and heritage management, though others are more than welcome to read the blog and post to it.

Although mainly focussing on heritage/archaeology issues, I will also occasionally post on other topics of interest to which might be of interest to others, namely wider conservation issues, politcs and even the odd excursus into music.

Why Outlandish Knight? The phrase is from an old folk song "An outlandish knight from the North Country came...". It's quite atmospheric and the the phrase stuck in my head, particularly as I've moved to Chester from a job in Durham and I still live in York - which just about qualifies as the North Country.

What is the picture? It's an Outlandish Knight, or to be more precise it's a photograph of a memorial brass from my favourite war memorial (hasn't everyone got a favourite war memorial?), the Sykes Memorial in Sledmere, East Yorkshire. I ran the picture through Photoshop to tart it up a bit. It is close to the Waggoner's Memorial, a monument to those from East Yorkshire who were members of the Waggoner's Corps in WWI (hich is my second favourite war memorial).

2 comments:

Peter F. Aherne said...

I think this is a cracking idea and will, hopefully, develop a great relationship between us all in the department.

LauraEllen said...

oh yes. I think it will be great to keep updated on things.