Thursday 9 October 2008

Viking York

Viking houses discovered on the Hungate site in York. Hungate has so far hit the headlines mainly as an excellent and rare example of the archaeological excavation of 19th century domestic area, with the streets, houses and backyards of the former slums of Hungate revealed. However, its important not to forget that this is York after all, and the fact that it was a major Viking city combined with waterlogging can lead to rather nice discoveries such as this.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Thanks for drawing my attention to this, David - I am so out of the York loop at the moment! (But ask me anything about the Bay of Skaill or the Brough of Deerness!) I wonder what was diagnostically 'ship's hull' about the timbers?

David Petts said...

I'll try and find out for you